Can you believe there are only 38 days left until my "guess date" of July 11?! I am so surprised that the time has really flown by since my 20 week ultrasound. I think the first half of pregnancy is definitely the most challenging.
Last time I updated about my pregnancy, I was just over 30 weeks along. I am now 34 weeks, and will be 35 this upcoming Thursday. The physical changes have definitely been more drastic over the past few weeks, and I've really started noticing how different my body is getting as I get further along.
The biggest changes are how I'm moving around, and how I balance my body. I am carrying Finn really far back, and so I often get comments about how much I'm not showing, or that people are really amazed that I have just over a month left. I know that when you have your first baby, you may not show as much as a second time mom does who has already been stretched and her body is able to accommodate a growing baby.
I had a tummy tuck back in 2005 and so my lower stomach is very tight where the plastic surgeon tightened my stomach muscles and removed skin from the weight I lost from gastric bypass. Finn has been hanging out mostly sideways, and I can usually feel his feet and legs towards the top-right side of my body. I think he is positioned upside down with his head at my pelvis. This is a good thing, and I think my positioning techniques are working.
In our Hypnobirth class, Arthur and I learned about positioning techniques that will help Finn be in the best position for birthing quickly and easily. This position is him facing backwards (towards my bottom), with his head down and his feet straight up in the air. If he faces forward, looking the same direction I look, it can be a really painful back labor. I am trying really hard to keep my body in positions that encourage Finn to be turned the right direction. One of these techniques are to "make a hammock", which means lean forward as often as possible and make my stomach like a hammock that encourages him to relax into my stomach with his back facing the front. I think I've done a pretty good job so far, but I know he can turn as time comes closer to when he arrives.
My only complaints these days are a sore back and the occasional headache. I really do feel good most days, and I surprise myself when I remind myself that I am almost done. I think I assumed that pregnancy would be so much more miserable at this time. Part of it might be the stories I've heard and part of it could be from what I've seen on TV/movies. I think my attitude has a lot to do with it, and the fact that Arthur doesn't have much tolerance for negativity... He is really great at reminding me of the positive things like "At least you're pregnant!" Anytime that Baby Finn is rolling around on my bladder, or hiccupping for the millionth time in a day, I verbally say how grateful I am that he is moving. I really appreciate how active he is. :)
I haven't felt any "practice surges" or Braxton Hicks contractions. I sometimes feel my stomach get hard, but then I wonder if it's just my imagination. I occasionally get minor cramping in my lower abdomen and so that could be it. I really am looking forward to the real feeling of a legit contraction, because to me it will mean progress. I hope I maintain this positive outlook and excited mentality. I do see many people in my life who get to the end (39, 40, 41 weeks) and start to say that they want the baby out now. I think since I still have 5 weeks left until this point, I am not yet feeling that stir crazy emotion. I am not sure it will happen for me, but I know that I am prepared for when I start to stress out about his arrival.
I have our next doctor's appointment this coming Friday with our new Certified Nurse Midwife. She met with us 2 weeks ago, and I loved everything about her. She works with a group of Nurse Midwives who back each other up and deliver babies at American Fork Hospital. I was so grateful to have her say some of the things I have been hoping for in the person who would deliver my baby. I made the right choice to "fire" my OBGYN. I will tell more about this in a future post.
I didn't want to publicize it, but I have decided to post every day this month in anticipation of Finn's arrival. This will give me something to focus on every day, and it will help me to document the progress I make as I get closer. If I miss a day, I won't beat myself up, but I am definitely going to make a very conscious effort to try. :)
How far along: 34 Weeks, 4 Days
How much time left: 5 Weeks, 3 Days
Top two symptoms: Backache and headache. I've got Tylenol and a blanket I use at work to keep my back supported. I am now sleeping with 5 (yes 5) pillows at night to help myself feel supported. I sleep really well most nights, which I appreciate.
Favorite thing I ate today: Fresh green beans from Costco. SO GOOD!
Mood: Excited now that time is getting closer to his arrival. I am more excited for the birth process than anything.... is that weird?!
Worried about: I'm not worried about too many things at this point. I think my main concerns is that he will decide to come early and he will mess up my last few weeks of plans before he gets here... but if he gets here early, then it must mean he's ready. I know he's pretty much done cooking, he just needs to fill out a little before he comes out. I want a healthy fat baby boy! :)
Excited for: Time off of work! I will be taking 4 months off starting when Finn arrives. I get 6 weeks maternity leave, 6 weeks bonding time and 4 weeks paid with my eBay 5 year sabbatical. That equals out to be 16 whole weeks! I won't have to go back to work until November. How nice is that!? I am excited to have a brief taste of being a stay-at-home mom. Arthur likes to bet that I will go stir crazy, but I think I will do just great. I am looking forward to a break and to focusing on something that isn't an email or a PowerPoint. ;)
Last time I updated about my pregnancy, I was just over 30 weeks along. I am now 34 weeks, and will be 35 this upcoming Thursday. The physical changes have definitely been more drastic over the past few weeks, and I've really started noticing how different my body is getting as I get further along.
The biggest changes are how I'm moving around, and how I balance my body. I am carrying Finn really far back, and so I often get comments about how much I'm not showing, or that people are really amazed that I have just over a month left. I know that when you have your first baby, you may not show as much as a second time mom does who has already been stretched and her body is able to accommodate a growing baby.
I had a tummy tuck back in 2005 and so my lower stomach is very tight where the plastic surgeon tightened my stomach muscles and removed skin from the weight I lost from gastric bypass. Finn has been hanging out mostly sideways, and I can usually feel his feet and legs towards the top-right side of my body. I think he is positioned upside down with his head at my pelvis. This is a good thing, and I think my positioning techniques are working.
In our Hypnobirth class, Arthur and I learned about positioning techniques that will help Finn be in the best position for birthing quickly and easily. This position is him facing backwards (towards my bottom), with his head down and his feet straight up in the air. If he faces forward, looking the same direction I look, it can be a really painful back labor. I am trying really hard to keep my body in positions that encourage Finn to be turned the right direction. One of these techniques are to "make a hammock", which means lean forward as often as possible and make my stomach like a hammock that encourages him to relax into my stomach with his back facing the front. I think I've done a pretty good job so far, but I know he can turn as time comes closer to when he arrives.
My only complaints these days are a sore back and the occasional headache. I really do feel good most days, and I surprise myself when I remind myself that I am almost done. I think I assumed that pregnancy would be so much more miserable at this time. Part of it might be the stories I've heard and part of it could be from what I've seen on TV/movies. I think my attitude has a lot to do with it, and the fact that Arthur doesn't have much tolerance for negativity... He is really great at reminding me of the positive things like "At least you're pregnant!" Anytime that Baby Finn is rolling around on my bladder, or hiccupping for the millionth time in a day, I verbally say how grateful I am that he is moving. I really appreciate how active he is. :)
I haven't felt any "practice surges" or Braxton Hicks contractions. I sometimes feel my stomach get hard, but then I wonder if it's just my imagination. I occasionally get minor cramping in my lower abdomen and so that could be it. I really am looking forward to the real feeling of a legit contraction, because to me it will mean progress. I hope I maintain this positive outlook and excited mentality. I do see many people in my life who get to the end (39, 40, 41 weeks) and start to say that they want the baby out now. I think since I still have 5 weeks left until this point, I am not yet feeling that stir crazy emotion. I am not sure it will happen for me, but I know that I am prepared for when I start to stress out about his arrival.
I have our next doctor's appointment this coming Friday with our new Certified Nurse Midwife. She met with us 2 weeks ago, and I loved everything about her. She works with a group of Nurse Midwives who back each other up and deliver babies at American Fork Hospital. I was so grateful to have her say some of the things I have been hoping for in the person who would deliver my baby. I made the right choice to "fire" my OBGYN. I will tell more about this in a future post.
I didn't want to publicize it, but I have decided to post every day this month in anticipation of Finn's arrival. This will give me something to focus on every day, and it will help me to document the progress I make as I get closer. If I miss a day, I won't beat myself up, but I am definitely going to make a very conscious effort to try. :)
How far along: 34 Weeks, 4 Days
How much time left: 5 Weeks, 3 Days
Top two symptoms: Backache and headache. I've got Tylenol and a blanket I use at work to keep my back supported. I am now sleeping with 5 (yes 5) pillows at night to help myself feel supported. I sleep really well most nights, which I appreciate.
Favorite thing I ate today: Fresh green beans from Costco. SO GOOD!
Mood: Excited now that time is getting closer to his arrival. I am more excited for the birth process than anything.... is that weird?!
Worried about: I'm not worried about too many things at this point. I think my main concerns is that he will decide to come early and he will mess up my last few weeks of plans before he gets here... but if he gets here early, then it must mean he's ready. I know he's pretty much done cooking, he just needs to fill out a little before he comes out. I want a healthy fat baby boy! :)
Excited for: Time off of work! I will be taking 4 months off starting when Finn arrives. I get 6 weeks maternity leave, 6 weeks bonding time and 4 weeks paid with my eBay 5 year sabbatical. That equals out to be 16 whole weeks! I won't have to go back to work until November. How nice is that!? I am excited to have a brief taste of being a stay-at-home mom. Arthur likes to bet that I will go stir crazy, but I think I will do just great. I am looking forward to a break and to focusing on something that isn't an email or a PowerPoint. ;)
Yay for being so close! I'm ready to snuggle little Finn. You're going to be such a good mom.
ReplyDelete